Peru 2006

Wednesday, October 18, 2006


30th September 7:20 AM.
Today is the highlight of my trip to Peru , the first day of 4 days doing the Inca trail trekking .The trail is about 37km long at an altitude which at one time exceeds 4000 meters (over 13,000 feet ) above sea level.

I was picked up from the hotel by our tour guide leader Casiano ,we got on the bus which there were already the porters on it and 4 others guys who were part of the group ,we drove around Cusco to pick up the last 2 members of the group as we headed towards to Piskacucho also known as KM82 , the drive was about 90 minutes long . Before we continued to KM82 we stopped for breakfast at Ollayantambo. As we got to Piskacucho we passed through park control booth to show our ID and had our passport self stamped as a souvenir of the Machu Picchu Inca trail .
The weather was great sunny and dry and no patch of cloud. It was already around 10:00 AM when we crossed the Vilcanota River bridge at 2720m/8923ft In my group we were 7 people which we got on very well. After an hour walking we stopped for short break to have our snack , everyday during the 4 days we were giving a snack, hot breakfast , hot lunch and hot dinner also we had tea time break as well , the food was all made on the road and delicious thanks to the cook and the porters who carried all the stuff .
On this first day we saw a view of the Inca site Fortress (Huillca Raccay) and Inca site Llactapata ( Patallacta) . We also saw the beautiful snow-capped peak of 'W'akay Willca' (5860m/19225ft).
We arrived at our campsite for the night at a green valley near the small village of Wayllabamba (3000m/9842ft) around 5:30 PM ,where we had our tea break and later had dinner . By 9:00 PM we were all in our tent because to morrow we had to get up early around 4:30AM.

That night I could not sleep very well , I remember waking up around 2:30 AM and my pillow which consisted of my backpack under my head was kind of hard but the real problem was I needed to pee so badly and felt so lazy stepping out of the tent but I had no other choice after 30 minutes I jumped out, it was then that I was able to sleep an other 90 minutes . Which felt really good .

1 Comments:

  • At 2:35 AM, Blogger Kelvin said…

    Hello from down under in New Zealand. i was searching the blog world when your blog popped up. You have some really great photos, worth sharing so I'll mention your blog at #431 on my blog - 21 21 21 Great Blogs To Read - Saturday 21st.
    Click on my name to see my blogs, but don't get lost.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home